Thursday 27 March 2008

I'm trying to be a different writer

I sent Ragnell an email asking for a link. But she never responded. Did I say something wrong? Have I upset her in anyway? I hope not. I read her blog. I don't agree with her feminist views. But I do see an element of sexism in comics. That's a revelation coming from me! I'm probably the most nastiest misogynist on planet Earth.

But saying that, I'm trying to be different. I want Jodie Summers (my spy character) to be a non-sexualized heroine. She doesn't wear skimpy clothes. She doesn't have over-sized breasts. I want her to be a heroine for girls everywhere. Someone they can look up to and aspire to be like. She's strong. Smart. Sexy (but not overly). Powerful. She's the ideal heroine.

OK, I intend for Jodie to have right-wing politics like me. If and when I get into the political stuff. But my intention is for all girls regardless of politics to rally behind her. She's my hero. And I want her to be everyone else's hero too.

I'm trying to set myself apart from all the other bozo-macho writers out there that feel the need to turn their female characters into lust objects for horny teenage boys. Jodie isn't like that. That's not to say she won't be good looking. I hope the artist who ever draws her can make her as cute as I imagine in my head. But at the same time. I hope they won't over do it too much and turn her into a bimbo that's only good for eye candy.

I WOULD TOTALLY HATE THAT!

1 comment:

  1. You are using my name :) Interestingly, I really like to think of myself the way that you described your heroine (I guess most women would). Good luck on the novel!

    ReplyDelete