Tuesday 25 March 2008

Comic writing is painful

I don't know whether it's just me. But I find the process of writing a comic book very painful. I'm used to writing for theatre. Where everything sort-of flows together. But with a comic: You have to break every action down into a separate panel. It can be quite frustrating.

I like to write as much description as I can. But sometimes I don't write enough. And it looks weird on the page. Maybe it's just me. Am I just messed up? At the moment,  I write about 8 pages a day. It takes about 20-40 minutes to do. Maybe I should be writing more. I'm currently on page 27. 

I think my spy-thriller Graphic Novel will be in-excess of 300 pages. So it's going to take literary months to write. But I suffer from Bi-polar disorder. So I have lots of mood swings that affect my writing ability and concentration. At the moment, I'm going through a depressive stage. So I can't concentrate for longs periods of time.

It's freakin' annoying!  Anyway here's an extract from Page two of my Graphic Novel.


PAGE TWO: (2 PANELS)
PANEL ONE

SIDE ON VIEW. Jodie sprints down the passage-way. She's PUFFING, PANTING, and WHEEZING. Her PSG-1 swings from side to side. In tune to Jodie's rapid motion. Just about in view, is the exit from the alleyway. There's a EGG-SHAPED, futuristic looking automobile parked on the edge of the road. Only the FRONT END is visible. More newspapers are being pelted around by the bittersweet gale-force monsoon.

CAPTION
"Must run faster. Need to make it to the apartment block."

CAPTION
"I hope Jess is there."

PANEL TWO

Jodie BURSTS out onto the street. It's completely deserted. Not a soul around. WE CAN now see the CAR more clearly. It has a hyped up REAR-VIEW SPOILER. Curled round slightly near the edges. A crystal windshield. With wipers. The top of the ENGINE prods itself through the HOOD. Out in the BACKGROUND are a few more CARS. All molded on the EGG-TYPE SHAPE. A few maybe more curved. Others more cubed etc.

STEAM bellows through the sewer grates into the ice-cold air. The BUILDINGS which form the wall of the alleyway are rotten, and muck-infected. Further in the BACKGROUND are TALL, GLASS SKYSCRAPERS. They have a odd-domed shape towards the top, with a RAZOR-SHARP needle billowing out the top.

A few flashing neon light signs further down the road, on BOTH SIDES: XXX, HARDCORE, GIRLS! GIRLS! GIRLS! You get the picture. The street we're on is BAKER-STREET. It's dirty, horrid, and certainly not the place you'd expect to see a young-girl like Jodie wandering down.

CAPTION
Baker Street; 00:01 AM.

JODIE SUMMERS
Ewww....!!

CAPTION
"Time's getting away from me. Must hurry up if I am to meet Jess at the apartment block. Target could've left by now. I bloody hope not!"
It just gets worse, doesn't it? :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment